Saturday, December 20, 2008

I'm totally free, maybe.

I don't have to make a big decision, one's been made up for me. I no longer have to worry about obligations regarding work. It's now a matter of my deciding whether or not to stay in Illinois.

I registered with Illinois Skills Match at the Illinois Department of Employment Security, and despite having two college degrees, and all my years of training and experience, they matched with only one job. One single job.

As far as economic recovery, it's up to employers. Low pay = low spending = bloated inventory = work stoppage = no pay. The cycle continues. This is why I hesitate to start a business, but by this stage in my life I should have my own business.

But what? Nobody has any money to spend on anything except perhaps food, shelter, or clothing, and those things are already sewn up.

I'm not going to fall for those "We want you to open a branch office and hire and manage insurance agents for us" routines either. Those are pyramid schemes.

What happens is you're given a mandate to bring in a certain amount of new accounts or lose the job. One day you can't bring in so much, so your regional manager gets all your customers. It's inevitable. Luckily I never fell for it. It's as stupid as a 401(K)

After Christmas I will have to make a decision. For right now, I'm waiting for the holidays to get over. Then it's start a business, go back to school, hit the road or get a shitty job.

No comments: