Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Reminiscing about myself and the Illinois Primary


I’ve been trying for decades to scrimp and save money for investment, and what little I accumulated wasn’t enough to buy stocks worth more than investing in the typical startups that invariably go belly-up.

When Bitcoin was valued under $3, I was subsisting on the verge of homelessness, so there was no chance I could spare enough money to risk investing in something about which I knew almost nothing.

While I live on what trickles in from a family farm trust, it’s not enough to afford rent, so I live with my mother. She’s been gracious, caring and generous, and every day I imagine the darkness I might face without her generosity.

I cannot fathom how to thank her without it seeming disingenuous or petty. I try to help her as much as possible. As long as her patience does not wear out, I can bide my time until a job comes along that fits my skill set.

So, I subsist on what little I have, which means I can’t afford the luxury of even dating. I have too much respect for women to drag them into a relationship they will regret. Besides, I don’t even physically qualify for Natural Selection, but I’m working on it at Planet Fitness.

As for Illinois Politics, I envy the billionaires who can drop millions of dollars on advertising and travel to get name recognition enough to overshadow any other candidates, even those with bright, interesting ideas for experimental policy changes which might prove successful if given a chance.

But policy change ideas by one set of politicians threaten the livelihoods of another set of politicians, and the stalemate is dragging everyone else down.

It’s going to be another governor versus whomever. I don’t know if J.B. Pritzker will get along with Michael Madigan if he wins the general election in November. I hope the General Assembly allows J.B.to enact his campaign promises. Not likely.

Whatever the outcome, the rest of Illinois and myself can only ride with the tide. Or is it me and the rest of Illinois?

No comments: