Sunday, July 15, 2018

Why do I surround myself with such negativity?

I stopped watching television in 2012 with the exception of Jeopardy!, Wheel of Fortune, PBS News Hour and BBC World News. But since early June I stopped watching that as well.

Now I choose my news by following specific journalists on Twitter, subscribing online to the local newspaper, browsing Google and Reddit news feeds. I follow alternative news some like to call fake news, but is still somewhat factual but distorted, with hyperbolic misleading headlines, and a lot of opinions filled with visceral hatred, name-calling and parroting of talking points from circular-citing ideological echo-chambers.

I just discoverd https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ which checks the bias of a news source, not only for left or right bias, but also pseudo-science and conspiracy prone sites. I found it while googling Zero Hedge, which according to Media Bias Fact Check is high on the conspiracy meter. But this is really beside my question: Why do I gravitate to these sources?

Validation, but not really validation of my own preconceived beliefs, but validation of my hormone imbalance which creates chronic anxiety. I'm literally searching outside myself for reasons for why I feel the way I do.

What happens inside me emotionally is in me, and not caused by anything outside myself. So when I try to enjoy myself with a distraction like Reddit's r/aww, gradually I get a gnawing feeling that I'm missing something important, which seems normal on the surface, but I still get the feeling that the news I browse through every day is a distraction from what's really going on behind the scenes.

At this point some would say it's the Trilateral Commission, the Illuminati,  the Koch Brothers, or George Soros, Anonymous, Guccifer 2.0, or whom ever.

Every day in fictional media and in advertising we see lifestyles and relationships that are perfect, and unreachable. A near constant reminder of our lower social status. When we see other people who we believe to be lesser than us, enjoying something we cannot, it induces a silent rage. But remember what I wrote in paragraph 5. Some people are on a hormonal edge that can be triggered by outside stimuli, especially if they lack the knowledge to understand and articulate their own emotions.

This is why we need mental health or basic psychology education earlier in school.


No comments: